Grown ups

Divorce in Australia

Divorce in Australia

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

What is a divorce?

A divorce is when a husband and wife decide that they don't want to be married to each other anymore. They sign legal papers that say they're no longer married and that they can marry other people if they want to.

A divorce is a legal process that has to go through the court system.

Divorce courts in Australia

In Australia, divorces are almost always handled by the Federal Circuit Court of Australia. If you were married or live in Western Australia, divorces are handled by the Family Court of Western Australia.

You don't physically have to go to court to get a divorce if you don't have any children under 18 years from the marriage. If you do have children, you don't physically have to go to court if both you and your husband or wife are applying for the divorce together.

Applying for a divorce

You must have been separated for at least 12 months before you can apply for a divorce. If you've been married for less than two years, you also need a certificate from a counsellor that says you've thought about trying to get back together.

Australia has a 'no-fault' divorce system. This means you don't have to say or prove that someone has behaved badly to apply for a divorce.

The easiest way to apply for a divorce is to complete an online application on the Commonwealth Courts Portal. You need to register to use the Portal. Then you answer some questions and upload some documents. You have to pay a fee for putting in a divorce application.

You and your husband or wife can apply together for a divorce, or either of you can apply by yourself.

You can do the application for divorce with or without help from a lawyer.

If you can't apply online, you can contact the Federal Circuit Court or the Family Court of Western Australia to get the forms you need.

Divorce order

Usually, the court handling your divorce says that you can have the divorce. This is called a divorce order, and it usually becomes official one month after the court makes the order.

The court can refuse to make an order if it thinks that you haven't fully thought through how you're going to look after any children under 18 years old from the marriage.

Overseas marriages

If you were married overseas you can apply for a divorce if one or both of you is an Australian citizen or resident or if Australia is your permanent home.

The court needs a copy of your marriage certificate.

If your marriage certificate isn't in English, you need to get an English translation of the marriage certificate. You also need the translator to give you a special legal document called an affidavit. An affidavit is like a guarantee. In this situation, the affidavit must:

  • state the translator's qualifications to translate
  • be attached to a copy of the marriage certificate together with the translation
  • state that the translation is accurate and that the attached copy of the marriage certificate is a true copy of the translated marriage certificate.

Opposing a divorce

If you've been separated for more than 12 months, there aren't many situations where you can oppose a divorce. Opposing a divorce means saying you don't want the divorce or refuse to get divorced.

If you don't want the divorce, you need fill out a form called a Response to Divorce and go to court for a hearing.


  1. Prewitt

    all clear

  2. Kekora

    Easy to read

  3. Chadburne

    Between us speaking.

  4. Akinwole

    I would like to argue with the author that everything is exclusively so? I think what can be done to expand this topic.

  5. Braktilar

    I am sorry, that has interfered... But this theme is very close to me. I can help with the answer.

Write a message